Early 19th Century Regency miniature campagna urn in the classical style. Moulded porcelain, enameled and gilded. Pink ground decorated with delicate floral sprays. Gilded central cartouche bearing the monogramme “CM”. Chamberlain’s, 155 New Bond Street, London (1811-1840).
Chamberlain, Robert (1736-1798) English enameler and porcelain manufacturer. In 1751 he was apprenticed at the Worcester Porcelain Company’to learn pot painting’, and eventually became the head of the decorating department; his apprentices included his sons Robert (1755-1832) and Humphrey (1762-1841). In 1783 the company sold to Thomas Flight, whereupon Chamberlain left and established an independent decorating company with his son Humphrey. They began to decorate porcelain for Thomas Turner of Caughley Porcelain Factory and by 1789 had opened a shop in Worcester high street, where they sold high quality ‘Chamberlains Worcester’. In the early 1790’s the Chamberlains began to manufacture hybrid hard paste porcelain, and so became competitors to those whose wares they had formerly decorated.
In the 19th century the firm secured noble and royal patrons; Lord Nelson ordered a set of armorial tableware in 1802, and in 1807 the Prince of Wales conferred a royal warrant on the company; the prince became regent in 1811, whereupon Humphrey Chamberlain created a line of Regent China. Dinner services with the Regent body were manufactured for royalty and for organisations such as the East India Company. In 1814 the company opened a London shop at 63 Piccadilly, and in 1816 moved the shop to 155 Bond Street. In 1840 the company merged with the Worcester Porcelain Company which traded as Chamberlain & Co until 1852, when the name of Chamberlain was finally dropped from the name of the firm.
Gordon Campbell, Volume 1 of The Grove Encyclopedia of Decorative Arts, (USA 2006), pp. 220-221.
Price On Request