Both the flame-mahogany side table and the pair of plinth pedestals are inlaid with brass in a Greek key pattern. The table is centered by a lion mask carved in high relief. On either side are drawers with shaped fielded panels and scroll motifs, with carved athemion palmettes at the corners. The table is supported on lion monopodium legs with paw feet.
Each of the pedestals is ornamented with brass anthemia and includes a paneled cupboard decorated with a scroll motif, one opening to an enclosed cellarette drawer.
The reverse of the drawer is inscribed “JOP DAU..Y.” The locks are stamped “BRAMAH” underneath the image of a crown. Affixed to each pedestal is a label reading, “THE PANTECHNICON H. CHANNON ESQ 13 1 38 92 BELGRAVE SQUARE.”
Provenance: in the collection of Sir Henry “Chips” Channon from 1938, and by descent.
England, circa 1820.
Table: 39″ high, 76″ wide, 34″ deep
Pedestals: 43″ high, 25″ wide, 28″ deep